Northwestern University requires all individuals involved in the conduct of human subjects research to complete human subjects protection training and to recertify every 3 years. IRB approval will be withheld if these training requirements are not met.
These requirements apply to all persons with a significant role in the research, such as those designated as:
- Principal Investigator and Co-investigators,
- Individuals named on a study grant or contract proposal,
- Individuals listed on an FDA form 1572 for the conduct of the research at NU or at an affiliate institution,
- Individuals named as a contact person in the informed consent document(s) or recruitment materials for research,
- Individuals who obtain informed consent from prospective participants in research, and
- Individuals who obtain individually identifiable health information under an NU Business Associate Agreement.
PLEASE NOTE: Completing training through CITI does NOT register you with eIRB+. NU/NU Affiliate staff must create an eIRB+ profile separately. You can find instructions here: Registration Process
- Instructions on how to be added to studies can be found here: Personnel Changes
- Screenshots and instructions to navigate the CITI website can be found here: CITI FAQs
Verify training status
This file contains only research personnel at NU who have completed training through the CITI website (initial or refresher course) within the last 3 years. Training completed elsewhere (NIH, a live Investigator 101 session, CITI training through another institution) is not listed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the IRB office with questions.
PLEASE NOTE: This spreadsheet is updated on a monthly basis, but individual eIRB+ profiles are updated daily.
Any one of the following satisfies the initial training requirements and meet the National Institutes of Health (NIH) education requirements.
Investigator 101 - Live training with IRB staff
If training was completed at another institution, please send a .pdf copy of the training certificate to email@example.com to determine if it meets NU’s training requirements.
Recertification is required every 3 years. Please note, the CITI refresher course may fulfill this requirement 3 times. The CITI basic course will be required on the 4th recertification. Any of the options below satisfy NU’s recertification training requirements.
Investigator 201 - Live recertification training with IRB staff
NIH online training* (Please note as of September 26, 2018, this training is no longer available)
* Updating Training in eIRB+: If training is completed through NIH, you must send a copy of your completion certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to update your eIRB+ profile.